freetds - Request for information about DatabaseMetaData.getTables

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Paul Wehlage" <paul.wehlage AT gd-is.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Request for information about DatabaseMetaData.getTables
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:35:53 -0400

I running on Windows 2000, SQL Server 7.0 SP2, JDK1.3 and the latest
snapshot of freetds_jdbc. I have been calling the getTables routine
of DatabaseMetaData and getting no results returned when I clearly
have tables in the database. I am asking for the following

catalog=Archive
schemaPattern=dba
tableNamePattern=null (which converts to '%')
types[] = {"TABLE"}

I have looked at the problem quite a bit and determined that
I do not get the same results from the stored procedure that
gets executed as I get by just building the equivalent SQL string
without using prepared statement parameters. My hand built string
returns the results I expected, the stored procedure always returns
zero records. I am not a stored procedure expert but I would have
expected the same results from either query.

This works
select TABLE_CAT=cat, TABLE_SCHEM=schem, TABLE_NAME=name, TABLE_TYPE=type,
REMARKS=rem from ##t#1 where cat = 'Archive' and schem like 'dba' and
name like '%' and ( type = 'TABLE' )

This does not
create proc #jdbc#3(@P1 nvarchar(4000), @P2 nvarchar(4000), @P3
nvarchar(4000), @P4 nvarchar(4000)) as select TABLE_CAT=cat,
TABLE_SCHEM=schem, TABLE_NAME=name, TABLE_TYPE=type, REMARKS=rem from
##t#1 where cat=@P1 and schem like @P2 and name like @P3 and ( type = @P4
)

executed with N'Archive", N'dba', N'%', N'TABLE'

I have monitored this with the SQL Profiler and do not see any errors.

Could someone please enlighten me on this?