freetds - RE: Setup on Linux with Perl

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Ryan Ashley" <rashley AT delosps.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Setup on Linux with Perl
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 16:16:01 -0400

> Ryan Ashley wrote:
>
> > That's what I thought, but my Network Admin kept saying that he thinks I
> > need SAMBA, and I wanted to make sure.
>
> Well.....maybe you *do* need Samba. But FreeTDS doesn't. ;-)
>

> > Interesting, when I use TDSDUMP, I get:
> >
> > Connecting addr 255.255.255.255 port 0
> > leaving ct_connect() returning 0
> >
> > So it looks like it's not trying to get to the correct IP. Why would that
> > be?
> >
> You're having a harder than usual time of it, in case that helps. Let's
> see.
>
> Since your /etc/hosts is right, and your interfaces file is right, there
> are two
> possible problems left.
>
> 1. $SYBASE doesn't point to the interfaces file's directory. Does "ls
> $SYBASE/interfaces" work as expected?
> 2. Resolver flakiness. I have heard it on the list here that replacing
> the host
> name with its IP address or vice versa sometimes resolves (as it were) this
> problem.
> Don't know why.
>
> BTW, "bugs" doesn't have to be in the DNS; it's the symbolic name of the
> database
> server. The symbolic name is used to lookup the server's real name (or
> address), in
> the "query" line.
>
> --jkl

1. "ls $SYBASE/interfaces" yields the result:
"/usr/local/freetds/interfaces", which, to my understanding, is correct.

2. When you say replace the ip with the host name, I assume you mean in
the interfaces file... I did this, with no change.

I've installed the latest snapshot with no success, the "gmake check"
tests, nor my scripts will run. The only difference is that my scripts,
with version .51, I got the network unreachable error, which I stll get
with the make test, but now my scripts produce a segmentation fault, which
I haven't seen since college and I've NEVER seen in perl.