freetds - Re: Sybase TDS Specification

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steven Work <steve AT renlabs.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sybase TDS Specification
  • Date: 16 Sep 1999 12:23:01 -0700

Bob Kline <bkline AT rksystems.com> writes:

> On 15 Sep 1999, Steven Work wrote:
>
> > [...] If copyright is *not* asserted, the
> > work belongs to the public domain and no restrictions on use or
> > distribution apply.
>
> What the U.S. Copyright law actually says is that the owner of
> copyright (initially the author, but ownership can be explicitly
> transferred or inherited) has "the exclusive rights to do and to
> authorize any of the following:

[...]

> Those rights exists automatically, independent of any actions or
> assertions the owner might or might not make. [...] And the owner
> can place a work in the public domain, but that takes a very explcit
> action.

Thanks for setting me straight, Bob -- I did not understand that
copyright is assumed even if not asserted; and I had the sense
backwards: I thought copyright let the holder place restrictions on
distribution, but you point out it grants to the holder an exclusive
right to distribute the work and to (optionally) authorize others to
do so.

Andrew, I was unreasonably harsh. Please accept my apologies.
--
Steven Work
Renaissance Labs