corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Fw: Paul's information about Galatia

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mitternacht Dieter" <dieter.mitternacht AT teol.lu.se>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Fw: Paul's information about Galatia
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:38:00 +0100

Mark,

sorry for the delay. Other things got in the way...

Mark wrote:
What I still see is outside influence is admitted; however it arrives
(obviously it took messengers from Jerusalem or ones from Galatia who
returned with the news), it is after interference (at least, of opinion)
from outside that Paul learns of the situation and responds in the letter we
have. Is that not influence from outside to which Paul is understood to
respond, albeit qualified in the way you have clarified?

Yes, I agree. Should that be a problem, do you think? I believe there are enough hints in Paul's letters to assume that there was interaction between the churches. What I argue agaisnt since I can't see in the texts, is the idea of certain people continously on Paul's heels, trying to reverse his efforts from place to place. THAT kind of outside influence I find difficult to verify. But that there was interaction between different groups of Christ-believers, and that indivuduals travelled to Jerusalem (for guidance or confrontation, Gal 1-2) I find natural to assume (see further below).

Mark:
I bring this up because I do not even see that level of outside influence
having to do with Jerusalem, although it is of course possible.

Dieter
If it is possible, then there must be some important reason why you would reject it right out. Please explain.

Mark:
But I do not think that Paul's raising the issues of Jerusalem and Antioch implies any
direct influence, such as communication, even if in response.

Dieter:
The concept of involving the leadership in Jerusalem in major decisions, even if it meant opposing them, is basic to Paul's argument in Gal 1-2. The least this must imply, I think, is that the efforts described made sense to Paul as something the addressees would accept as necessary and worhtwile. Thus, I think it is safe to assume that the Galatians were familiar with the idea of going south for council.  I believe that Paul wrote Gal 1-2 primarily for the purpose of demonstrating his umwavering character. But this rhetoric functions only if he knows that he can expect the addressees to accept the necessity of the conflicts he is reporting to having gotten himself into. Otherwise, the rhetorical risk is too high, and the conclucison drawn by the recipients might be that this guy is just looking for trouble, and if he can't get it in Athens he looks for it in Jerusalem.

Dieter