corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Fw: Paul's information about Galatia

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Fw: Paul's information about Galatia
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:04:57 -0600

OK Dieter mou,
Now I get the issue that aroused your response! But I would like to explore
where our differences of view may remain. (I will leave the message below my
post, but I think the following line is sufficient for what I wish to
write.)

> Dieter:
> The reason why I can see no inconsistency between my two
> assertions is that I see the initiative for advice coming from Galatia.

Mark:
That is the point you were making, and I was thinking about a different one.
Signomi! So the initiative did not come from Jerusalem (or Antioch, et al)
to send a task-force to Galatia, as is usually contended, and thus you are
not suggesting outside influencers in Galatia. Here we agree, and I should
remember your argument indeed.

What I still see is outside influence is admitted; however it arrives
(obviously it took messengers from Jerusalem or ones from Galatia who
returned with the news), it is after interference (at least, of opinion)
from outside that Paul learns of the situation and responds in the letter we
have. Is that not influence from outside to which Paul is understood to
respond, albeit qualified in the way you have clarified?

I bring this up because I do not even see that level of outside influence
having to do with Jerusalem, although it is of course possible. But I do not
think that Paul's raising the issues of Jerusalem and Antioch implies any
direct influence, such as communication, even if in response. Mention of
cases that happened there can be accounted for by Paul's own rhetorical
approach to the situation in Galatia--so that they understand that what they
face is not a new development entirely, one that no one else could
understand, so that they can get off the hook that has resulted for them by
upholding Paul's views in the face of opposition to those views by Galatian
communal leaders.

Anyway, I do not see that either point of view provides the kind of
information for which Richard Fellows is looking to build an argument. It
could have happened at any time in his ministry, within the limits of the
information contained in the letter, esp. that it must be after the events
described in chapter 1 and 2. I do not yet see that we have anything to work
with about how Paul learned of developments in Galatia that led to writing
this letter. It seems that any hypothesis will be difficult to turn into
anything more than that. I think that is the point you were making too.

Geia sou,
Mark
--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.