corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Romans 1-2: Logos/Christos as Soter

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Romans 1-2: Logos/Christos as Soter
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:32:11 -0600

John,
This is a very interesting proposition. I am not prepared to undertake
investigating it presently, but here are some questions that come to mind to
explore. You have spun a story from these different interpreters spanning
hundreds of years, and from different ethnicities and cultures. Where might
it benefit from some alteration and nuance? How widely was the story as you
understand it understood by 1) anyone then or 2) anyone since when reading
Cicero or Paul? If you can find corroboration, say in some elite, then I
want to know if there is any evidence that anyone other than an elite,
representing some small percent of the population, shared this understanding
of the story. And I want to know if and how a non-elite would relate to it.
Then, I want to know if the kind of audience Paul's letter's rhetoric as
well as historical situational probabilities for their makeup (as non-elite,
e.g.) suggests they would have known about, understood, and adopted that
narrative, and understood Paul to be employing it, and in the direction for
which you argue. What are the other options for how they might relate to and
interpret Paul's language?

In addition to spending some time with Stan Stowers' Rereading Romans, I
suggest you (and members of the list either interested in or dismissive of
your thesis) take a look at the new Daniel Boyarin book, Border Lines, which
develops a logos theme in trying to sort out Christian and Jewish communal
developments and the eventual distance that resulted. Very interesting; will
require some time to digest, and folks more familiar than I am with some
aspects of the thesis to weigh in on it.

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.