corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Troy Martin on Galatians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark Goodacre" <M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Troy Martin on Galatians
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:49:14 +0100

I've just read Troy W. Martin, "The Covenant of Circumcision (Genesis
17.9-14) and the Situational Antitheses in Galatians 3.28", _JBL_
122 (2003), pp. 111-125. The basic thesis of this paper, that Gal.
3.28 mentions male/female and slave/free as well as
circumcised/uncircumcised because of the circumcision issue in
Galatia, relating this to the covenant of circumcision in Gen. 17,
seemed to me to be convincing and I was surprised to hear that this
is not a common view. I wonder what others think of Martin's recent
article?

I was also struck by his thesis on Gal. 4.10 mentioned in the
article, that this is about the Galatians returning to a pagan time-
keeping scheme rather than moving to a Jewish one. He hints that
this thesis has not been well received (p. 116) and this does not
surprise me though I suppose I should suspend judgement until I have
had a chance to read his detailed discussion of it. In the opinion
of list-members, is there anything to be said for this view?

Thanks
Mark
Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk
Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
Birmingham B15 2TT UK

http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
http://NTGateway.com