corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Troy Martin on Galatians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Given, Mark Douglas" <mdg421f AT smsu.edu>
  • To: <M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk>, "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Troy Martin on Galatians
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 09:54:30 -0500

Mark (Goodacre),

I also read this article and have since corresponded with Troy to
recount the following. I was at the same session of the 2000 SBL he
begins his article with where Gaventa asked Martyn about the reason Paul
mentioned the second and third antitheses in this context and Martyn
said "I don't know." After the session I approached Gaventa and said I
think I can explain it. What I then said was basically what is in on p.
36, fn. 141 of my Paul's True Rhetoric concerning 1 Cor 9:19-23 rather
than Gal 3:28: "Note that EVERY division of humanity Paul lists in 1 Cor
9:19-23 is ultimately founded on the law." The footnote comes after
this passage which does touch on Galatians:

"Since in the 'new creation' (Gal 6:15), all the divisions of this
present evil age are passing away (Gal 3:28), Paul feels perfectly free
to masquerade in turn as an observant Jew, a proselyte, a Greek, or a
less mature believer. He seems to glory in this status ambiguity and
mimetic freedom. Perhaps he saw it as mandated by 'the law of Christ.'
As Theissen observes,

'Although the name of Christ does not occur, it is clear that Paul is
interpreting his life according to the role of Christ. For Christ also
became a "slave" (Phil. 2:7) like Paul. Christ also was "placed under
the law" (Gal 4:4)--just as Paul places himself under the law. Christ
is "weakness on God's part" (1 Cor 1:25)--just as Paul intends to be
weak with the weak. In all of this he is an imitator of Christ (1 Cor
11:1).' [From Psychological Aspects, 253.]

But could 1 Cor 9:19-23 be about something more than mere accommodation
and adaptation so as not to give needless offense? Could it be a
rhetorical strategy, a rhetoric of body and voice aimed against the
'elements' of this world that maintain these divisions mandated by law,
by THE Law?"

As you see, I very much agree with what Troy is getting at, though I
don't mean to suggest he would agree with everything in this passage.
The next few sentences after this passage basically endorse the radical
apocalyptic-eschatological view of Gal 3:28 that Martyn goes on to
reject later in his article. Paul's seeming maintenance of the
divisions in certain situations is explained instead as mere
accommodation when necessary.

As for the return to pagan time keeping, I would not be so unkind as to
call it "fanciful" as Martyn does, but I don't find his arguments
convincing either.

Mark (Given)--not Nanos. This could get confusing. (-;

Mark D. Given
Associate Professor
Department of Religious Studies
Southwest Missouri State University