corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Troy Martin on Galatians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: tmcos AT canada.com
  • To: M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk
  • Cc: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Troy Martin on Galatians
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:59:25 -0700 (PDT)

Mark, in your comment's on Martin's book you stated, "I
was also struck by his thesis on Gal. 4.10 mentioned in
the article, that this is about the Galatians returning
to a pagan time-keeping scheme rather than moving to a
Jewish one." Has not the same thing been proposed for
the comments in Col.2:16 about the feast day, new moon
and sabbath day? Some have speculated that the letter
to the Colossians was addressing Jewish gnosticism in
this case. I was just interested on what members on the
list had to say about the relation of the statement of
Gal.4:10 and that of Col.2:16. Are they referring to
Judaic observances?

Tony Costa, M.A.

University of Toronto

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:49:14 +0100, "Mark Goodacre"
wrote:

> I've just read Troy W. Martin, "The Covenant of
> Circumcision (Genesis
> 17.9-14) and the Situational Antitheses in Galatians
> 3.28", _JBL_
> 122 (2003), pp. 111-125. The basic thesis of this
> paper, that Gal.
> 3.28 mentions male/female and slave/free as well as
> circumcised/uncircumcised because of the circumcision
> issue in
> Galatia, relating this to the covenant of circumcision
> in Gen. 17,
> seemed to me to be convincing and I was surprised to
> hear that this
> is not a common view. I wonder what others think of
> Martin's recent
> article?
>
> I was also struck by his thesis on Gal. 4.10 mentioned
> in the
> article, that this is about the Galatians returning to
> a pagan time-
> keeping scheme rather than moving to a Jewish one. He
> hints that
> this thesis has not been well received (p. 116) and
> this does not
> surprise me though I suppose I should suspend
judgement
> until I have
> had a chance to read his detailed discussion of it.
In