corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Morna Hooker on the Law

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark Goodacre" <M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Morna Hooker on the Law
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:36:17 +0100

Terry

Thanks for those useful comments and apologies for this delayed
reply. I hadn't thought of Hooker's statement as linking to the Deut
21.22-23 / Gal. 3 context but now see that she makes this very link
on the previous page of the book, p. 43, "According to the law,
criminals who were condemned to death and who were hung on a tree
were under the curse of God, and so became a curse to the land (Deut.
21.22-23). How, then, could God have allowed his chosen anointed one
to have been crucified, branded by the law as an offence to God
himself, and a source of infection to others? We can imagine Paul
*before* his conversion, indignantly rejecting Christian claims for
Jesus and quoting Deuteronomy 21."

I am sure you are right that there are problems with this view, and
note Prof. Maccoby's comments that this interpretation of Deut. 21:22-
23 is not found in any Jewish source of the period. Indeed, even if
Hooker et al were right about this, I struggle to see how we can go
to the next stage with her and imagine that Paul saw this as a
"demonstration of the fact that righteousness before God . . . does
not depend on obedience to the law" (p. 44). Even if the pre-
Christian Paul was inclined to focus on Deut. 21.22-23, it is very
difficult to see this construed in the way Hooker does, as -- for
Paul -- effectively branding Jesus as himself "a lawbreaker, an
offence to God". There are so many ways in which Jesus' death could
be construed, as martyrdom, suffering servant, paschal offering etc.,
that would suggest that the link made here is unlikely.

Mark
Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk
Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
Birmingham B15 2TT UK

http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
http://NTGateway.com

  • Re: [Corpus-Paul] Morna Hooker on the Law, Mark Goodacre, 07/09/2003