corpus-paul - Re: Favorite Book

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Billy Evans <biblewje AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Favorite Book
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:59:31 -0500

on 10/15/02 5:16 AM, Loren Rosson at rossoiii AT yahoo.com wrote:

> Billy Evans wrote:
>
>> If I may add one more title for those
>> of you who would like to explore how the
>> Pope could say that Jews do not need Christ,
>> "Reinventing Paul" by John G.
>> Gager of Princeton (Oxford, 2000) might
>> shed some much needed light.
>
> Gager's book makes some good points about why Paul
> believed the Jewish people didn't need to give up any
> of the Torah when accepting Christ. I wish I could say
> the same for his argument that they didn't need Christ
> at all. Frankly, I find his (and Gaston's, and to a
> lesser degree Stendahl's) "two-path plan to salvation"
> theory, while theologically attractive, bogus and
> unsupported by the text.
>
> Loren Rosson III
> Nashua NH
> rossoiii AT yahoo.com

> $subst('Email.Unsub')
I too am bothered by antiJesus theology. When I was living in Cincinnati, a
group of conservative Catholic churches had a TV show where they constantly
blasted the present Pope and the pope of Vatican II as liberal and in danger
of outright apostasy. I dare to wonder what they are saying about this last
antiJesus bull.

Are there any Catholics out there listening who could enlighten me. I
gather the approach is steeped in Postmodern reader response criticism, but
that is just a guess.

Billy