corpus-paul - Re: Corinthian Correspondence

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT attbi.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Corinthian Correspondence
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 10:06:28 -0500

Eric Zuesse wrote:

> I would like to know what others in this forum think about this. First of
> all, is it relevant to discuss on Corpus-Paul issues regarding Jesus's
> historicity? And secondly, was Loren saying no to this question: that such
> issues shouldn't have been discussed in this forum?

I do not think that we need to pursue the matter of what Lorren did or did
not say.

But speaking as moderator, I note the following:

Given what is set out in our List description and protocols, as well as the
assumption
that is accepted as a given on C-P, namely, the existence of Jesus, any
discussion
which strays into Historical Jesus studies **without reference** to the issue
of the
continuity or discontinuity between Jesus and Paul, is then, something that
should be
moved to another List. To put this another way: A discussion which focuses
solely on
the issue of the historicity of Jesus is not appropriate here..

However, having said this, I think a discussion of how the Jesus "Mythers"
have used
**Pauline material** in making their "case" for "no historical Jesus" is
something that
may be pursued here.

Jeffrey Gibson

--