corpus-paul - Re: ARCHISUNAGOGOS IN ACTS 18:8 AND 17

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Kym Smith" <khs AT picknowl.com.au>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: ARCHISUNAGOGOS IN ACTS 18:8 AND 17
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 00:57:15 -0400

Dear Karl,

<<<In Acts 18:8 Crispus is referred to as “archisunagogos” and in v. 17
Sosthenes is similarly described. Was there only one “archisunagogos” at a
time or were Crispus and Sosthenes part of a group leadership of the
synagogue in Corinth? >>>

Whether or not there were multiple leaders I cannot say. But considering
the time that had passed between Paul’s coming to Corinth and the episode
of Acts 18:12f (perhaps 18 months), the reference may be to a different
synagogue altogether. I think I am right in the view that in large centres
there were often multiple synagogues.

The probable solution, however, and a simple one, is to see that Crispus
ceased to the ruler of the synagogue when he joined Paul. Sosthenes was
his successor.

Sincerely,

Kym Smith
Adelaide