corpus-paul - Who told whom first about the institution of the Eucharist

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Who told whom first about the institution of the Eucharist
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:28:33 -0700

Mike B. wrote
> When Paul speaks of the Last Supper in 1st Corinthians 11, he gives the
words as they appear in other gospels. However, why does Paul say that he
got this information from the Lord? He would have gotten it from Cephas in
49CE if anyone. Was this just rhetorical overkill by Paul? <

Jack responded
>>There is always an underlying tension between Paul and the actual
eyewitnesses and students of Jesus himself. Paul is constantly attempting to
put himself on equal footing with Jesus' brothers and disciples. Was Paul's
little chitty chats with the resurrected Christ an hallucination or a
fabrication? <<

Besides the last question (rhetoric, hallucinate, fabricate? none of the
above, I think), Jack's comment raises some questions on precedence of the
parallels. I and my editor are foolishly continuing the effort of 8 essays
on Romans for our parish. So far we have not been excommunicated. Essay #7
is to be on the relation between the teaching of Jesus and Paul - I intend
to start with chapter 12:14-21 and the shared ground in Proverbs 25. (also
can draw on verses like Matthew 7:22 and its similarity to Paul's attitude
towards the Law as expressed in Romans 2:13 - not to mention James.)

But here in Corinthians we have a deep relationship reaching into the core
of an emerging liturgy. What is its origin? What is it linked to that came
before it? Who wrote down the words first? When was it used in the regular
meal? How early did it evolve into a practice similar to our current
services? (Paul is the earliest written record according to some - but maybe
Matthew said after the supper - "I had better make a note of these things -
sounds important, don't you think?" And out came a scrap of a broken pot; he
had forgotten his wax tablet - and he wrote himself a note: to be
transcribed later.)

Any thoughts - or pointers to a good analysis of these parallel texts?
http://www.utoronto.ca/religion/synopsis/meta-6gh.htm has the texts
altogether. If you haven't seen this page - click to 1 Cor 11 under other,
then click the little books to align the gospels.

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT shaw.ca
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

Catch the foxes for us,
for o
Τmineyards are in flower. (Song 2.15)
http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca

  • Who told whom first about the institution of the Eucharist, Bob MacDonald, 08/13/2002