corpus-paul - Re: Paul and Barnabas

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Kym Smith" <khs AT picknowl.com.au>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Paul and Barnabas
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 20:45:28 -0400

Dear Clive,

This thread may have run its short course already, but I would be
interested at some time for you to develop your 'prior question'. I am not
sure about the agenda that Luke had, I suspect that it was to show the
continuing work of Christ (i.e. following the work detailed in the gospel
- 'all that Jesus *began to do and teach*' Acts 1:1) and, folowing their
deaths, to keep before the church the witness of those two great apostles
to the Jews and the Gentiles, Peter and Paul.

More related to the original post, it struck me that John Mark's leaving
the mission - as Luke records it - was immediately after the apparent
reversal of roles between Paul and Barnabas. The first indication of the
change is in 13:13a, 'Now paul and his company set sail from Paphos and
came to perga in Pamphylia'. In 13b we have, 'And John left them and
returned to Jerusalem'.

After the disagreement between Paul and Barnabas over the inclusion of
Mark on the return visit (Acts 15:36f), Mark goes off with Barnabas.

I wonder if it was simply Paul's leadership that Mark was not able to
handle. Perhaps he held some resentment - a resentment later resolved -
for Paul whom he felt had usurped the leadership from his cousin,
Barnabas (Col 4:10).

Just a thought,

Kym Smith
Adelaide