corpus-paul - Re: Musings on Pauline Studies

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John Dickson" <dicksonj AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Musings on Pauline Studies
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:58:02 +1000

I disagree strongly with the following statement by Loren Rosson:

> But we shouldn't shun labels like "anti-Semite",
> "misogynist", or "homophobe" if the shoe fits. That's
> simply the duty of an historian.

The problem with these particular labels is that they have arisen directly
from heated modern debates and are thus loaded with powerful connotations.
Applying these tags to ancients obscures rather than illuminates the
motives, agendas, reasons and subtleties of a particular writer's opinions
on matters such as homosexuality, the role of women and the place of Jews in
the world. For me, the use of such labels in historical discourse about Paul
(or any other writer of the ancient world) would be akin to the use of
swear-words among teenagers - a substitute for careful description.
Loren, perhaps you were being overly-rhetorical in your comments and so my
reaction is unwarranted, but the use of these labels in scholarly discussion
seems to me anything but "the duty of an historian."
Kind regards,
John

John Dickson
Sydney, Australia