corpus-paul - Re: Musings on Pauline Studies

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Musings on Pauline Studies
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 03:33:38 -0700 (PDT)

Bob MacDonald wrote:

>Nevertheless, Paul was neither homophobic nor
>misogynist. Nor can he be modified in a scholarly
>way by other adjectives or categories like
>anti-Judaic or anti-Semitic.

But these categories can't be lumped together
uncritically. Paul certainly wasn't anti-Semitic, and
I don't believe he was a misogynist. I think he was
transparently homophobic -- but I am prepared to learn
from people like Jim Miller who have explored the
issue at greater length.

>But opinions unsubstantiated quickly
>reduce to name-calling.

But we shouldn't shun labels like "anti-Semite",
"misogynist", or "homophobe" if the shoe fits. That's
simply the duty of an historian. I actually mean no
disrespect to Paul by simply acknowledging his
homophobia, nor do I particularly see the need to
resent him for this (even if I take a less charitable
attitude toward people who continue to say and do
things in his name on this point). My question is, why
do people like Scroggs (whom I have read) see the need
to sanitize Paul at the expense of Paul himself? But
as I said, I'm prepared to listen to Jim Miller or any
others who have researched the issue. What exactly do
you mean, Bob, when you say that "the musings of
Scroggs are not converging"? Can you elaborate a bit
more? I get the impression that you don't think very
highly of Scroggs, yet you refrain from acknowledging
Paul as a homophobe. Am I misreading you?

Anyway, thanks to Jim Miller for elaborating on his
position.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com