corpus-paul - Re: Musings on Pauline Studies

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Perry L Stepp <plstepp AT juno.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Musings on Pauline Studies
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 07:29:20 -0500

Loren Rosson wrote:

> Paul certainly wasn't anti-Semitic, and I don't
> believe he was a misogynist. I think he was
> transparently homophobic . . .

The term "homophobic" is a rather poor fit, don't you think? It implies
that fear (thus irrationality) is the only reason Paul (or anyone) could
have for criticizing homosexual activity on a moral ground.

"Homophobic" is thus a pejorative, prejudicial term. And I object to its
reflexively being brought to bear against those who find moral fault with
homosexual activity. Some indeed may be "driven by fear and
loathing"--and in such cases, "homophobic" would be an appropriate term.
But not all moral critics of homosexual activity are "driven by fear and
loathing," and I find no reason to believe that Paul was so driven.

PLStepp, Ph.D. candidate, Baylor University
http://www.tapercities.com/PhilZone/plstepp/

"For me, the lame part of the Sixties was the political part, the social
part. The real part was the spiritual part." --Jerry Garcia,
*Rolling Stone* 30 Nov 1989

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.