corpus-paul - Re: Musings on Pauline Studies

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Musings on Pauline Studies
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 04:03:56 -0700 (PDT)

Jim Miller wrote:

> The culture of the Roman Empire was very
> homophobic. They definitely despised
> sexuality between adult males (or between
> females of any age). What they tolerated and
> approved was pederasty, sex between an
> adult male and an adolescent boy, usually a slave
> owner or a brothel patron using a slave boy.

Jim,

This is generally correct, but I don't believe for a
moment that Paul distinguished "homosexuality" from
"pederastry", or that the latter was somehow worse
than the former. The latter was simply a subset of the
former, which was an abomination in any form. The
Corinthians passage can be argued to refer to
pederastry in particular, but the Romans text is
unambiguous. Paul abhored same-sex unions of any sort
-- between women (Rom 1:26) and men (Rom 1:27), men
and boys, etc.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com