corpus-paul - Re: Sanders still in vogue?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Daniel Streett <danstreett AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sanders still in vogue?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 19:27:03 -0700 (PDT)

Billy,

I think Paul contrasts "all Israel" (which will experience eschatological
salvation) with "Israel"
at the present time, which contains some believing members, but is comprised
mostly of
unbelievers. Therefore, "all Israel" refers to the totality of ethnic Israel
*at a certain point
in time*.

Paul makes no bones about Israel's perdition. Just a random sampling from ch.
2:

2:12 "For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law:
and as many as have
sinned in the law shall be judged by the law."

2:24 accuses the Jews of causing the blaspheming of God's name among the
Gentiles - a damnable
offense, in Paul's mind.

2:25 Circumcision is profitable for lawkeepers, but lawbreakers are accounted
as Gentiles, even
though they are circumcised (i.e. ethnic Jews).

So Paul makes it clear that ethnic Jews will not be saved apart from keeping
the law (which to
Paul includes accepting him to whom the law and prophets witness). Therefore
unbelieving Jews are
"lost". But, Paul does envision, in ch. 11, a time when all Israel will be
returned to godliness
and thus be saved.

Daniel R. Streett
Yale Divinity School