corpus-paul - Re: Sanders still in vogue?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Daniel Streett <danstreett AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sanders still in vogue?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 12:43:27 -0700 (PDT)

Loren,

I think one *could* say that remnant theology is at odds with the belief that
all Israel will be
saved *insofar as* it redefines, delimits, and thereby shrinks the remnant to
include only the
faithful few. This we see occurring throughout the pseudepigrapha, as Elliott
demonstrates.

Now, N. T. Wright would have us believe that Paul in Rom 9-11 has likewise
redefined Israel and
identified it with the remnant, which now even includes Gentiles. I don't
think his arguments
succeed, but he is correct in seeing a remnant theology in Rom 9-11.

I would rather see Paul speaking of a remnant - at the present time. The
remnant is an institution
in some ways unique to the present age of eschatological tension. But, in the
end, all living
ethnic Israelites will be brought to repentance - when the deliverer comes
from Zion.

So Paul weaves together remnant theology and universalism 1) by maintaining
the insistence of
remnant theology that only the faithful will be saved and 2) by maintaining
that God's plan of
salvation includes all Israel. His deus ex machina (truly so!) is the
parousia which brings all
Israel to faith and thus salvation.

Daniel R. Streett, student
Yale Divinity School