corpus-paul - Re: Teaching Paul Contextually

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Edgar Krentz <ekrentz AT lstc.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Teaching Paul Contextually
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 15:41:25 -0700

At 8:52 PM -0400 9/10/01, Brian Tucker wrote:
I will be teaching a class this week on the importance of thinking
contextually when dealing with Paul's writings.

I would like some suggestions on passages to use as examples. For example,
passages that are misunderstood when taken out of context.

Also, I am open to suggestions for creative ways to approach such a class.
If anyone has taught a section on the importance of thinking contextually in
the Pauline epistles and can suggest some unique ideas for presenting the
material, I'd love to hear it!

Or, is emphasizing the context, much ado about nothing?

Thanks,
Brian Tucker

Try 1 Cor 11:2-16 and the paragraph at the end of chapter 14 on Women shutting up in the assembly. You need to know a good bit about women in Judaism, Roman life, and the history of Corinth as a Roman colony to really understand it.

Edgar Krentz
Christ Seminary--Seminex Professor of New Testament, Emeritus
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 East 55th Street, Chicago, IL 60615
Tel: 773-256-0773; home phone 773-947-8105
e-mail: ekrentz AT lstc.edu
home e-mail: ekrentz AT winstarmail.com
GERASKO D' AEI POLLA DIDASKOMENOS
"I grow old, constantly learning many things." [Solon of Athens]