corpus-paul - Re: Teaching Paul Contextually

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Teaching Paul Contextually
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 22:48:09 -0500

on 9/10/01 7:52 PM, Brian Tucker at editor AT journalofbiblicalstudies.org
wrote:

> I will be teaching a class this week on the importance of thinking
> contextually when dealing with Paul's writings.
>
> I would like some suggestions on passages to use as examples. For example,
> passages that are misunderstood when taken out of context.
>
> Also, I am open to suggestions for creative ways to approach such a class.
> If anyone has taught a section on the importance of thinking contextually in
> the Pauline epistles and can suggest some unique ideas for presenting the
> material, I'd love to hear it!
>
> Or, is emphasizing the context, much ado about nothing?

Brian,
I think the alternative--as if there is one--is rather "much ado about
nothing"! In order to translate, interpret, or apply the language of Paul it
is necessary to construct a context, even if it is a medieval theological
debate between Roman Catholics, or to merely assume one. But surely you know
this, and are just teasing; right?

If you have a commentary on Romans or Galatians by Luther, for example, a
comparison on many topics which he takes to signify Catholics or Anabaptists
provides an interesting place to begin a discussion contrasting the probable
context of Paul's original comments for his first-century addressees.

An interesting exercise is to look for any reference to Christians in Paul's
letters, and along the way note to whom and of whom he does write. Or try to
find a passage wherein he opposes the circumcision of Jewish boys, or the
abandonment of Jewish observance by Jewish believers in Christ. Should his
comments to non-Jewish addressees not to become Jews be universalized to
apply to Jews, and thus to every-person, as has been the case in the
theological tradition defining Paul and Paulinism?

Recent books such as Neil Elliott's Liberating Paul, Stan Stowers' A
Re-reading of Romans, and my The Mystery of Romans are among those that
offer many examples from which to choose.

It will be useful to bring to the front another matter of equal importance;
the context of Paul's language according to who/when?! Or turned around; out
of context according to who/when?! On what basis will one decide how Paul
will be read? How will one prioritize the use of the available methodologies
or handle self-interest in privileging one approach or conclusion over
another? The questions that arise are many, and the results of their pursuit
well worth the effort, if we are to get closer to knowing, in context,
either ourselves, or Paul; or at least a few more of the options for both.

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.