corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Interpreters

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Interpreters
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 04:49:26 -0800 (PST)

Peter Head wrote:

> I have revised things a bit as follows:
>
> 1. Marcion, Irenaeus, canon formation.
>
> 2. Augustine, Luther, reformed theology
>
> 3. Baur, Lightfoot, historical reconstructions
>
> 4. Schweitzer, reactions to "liberal" and "history
> of religions" approaches
>
> 5. Bultmann & Käsemann
>
> 6. Davies, Stendahl
>
> 7. Sanders, "New Perspective: antecedents and
> interests"
>
> 8. Contemporary Options: Dunn, Meeks et al.
>

> I'm not too sure how
> to organise the Stendahl, Davies grouping; and the
> final one seems a bit
> too broad (although Meeks supposedly non-theological
> approach has had his
> advocates). I am least convinced about the shape of
> the last three
> lectures.

For the last three lectures, Peter, you may want to
reorganize as follows:

6. Stendahl and Sanders: “New Perspective launched”

7. Dunn and Wright vs. Gaston and Gager: “Disputes
within the New Perspective itself”

8. Sociological/anthropological approaches: Wayne
Meeks, Jerome Neyrey, Bruce Malina, etc.

Davies would of course fall into 6., though I see
Stendahl and Sanders as the real mold-breakers of the
old perspective.

Disputes within the New Perspective itself lend
themselves to a separate category.

You could wrap up with category 8. Besides Meeks, I
have in mind books like Neyrey’s “Paul in other
words”, Malina’s and Neyrey’s “Portraits of Paul". I
think these works deserve more attention than they
normally receive. (On the other hand, I'm a hopeless
social-science guru!)

Best,

Loren Rosson III,
Nashua NH