corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Interpreters

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Robert Keay" <robert_keay AT hotmail.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Interpreters
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 23:12:18 GMT

Peter,

Your lecture series on the study of Paul sounds excellent.

It seems to me that there is a major figure missing from your list. Talk of a "New Perspective" suggests that modern Pauline studies began in 1977 with Sander's "Paul and Palestinian Judaism", and your list reflects this. But I think in several ways Krister Stendahl is the real beginning point for modern studies in Paul. His work (e.g., "Paul among Jews and Gentiles" and "Paul and the Introspective Conscience of the West") marks the break with the Augustinian/Lutheran tradition and reorients discussion of Paul around the Jew/Gentile question, offering a fundamental shift in our view of Paul: his call (not conversion) as 'apostle to the Gentiles', his view of the Law (for Israel not the Gentiles), and his view of salvation (two covenants), among others. It seems to me that Stendahl' view of Paul is more sweeping and paradigmatic than Sanders and those following him, who might be seen as developing/reacting/responding to various aspects of Stendahl's overall picture. Stendahl even anticipates the more anthropolgical/sociological interpretation of Meeks, Malina and others in his study of the introspective conscience of the modern West in contrast to Paul's 'robust conscience'. Stendahl certainly has been influential, so I recommend you include him in your lectures.

John Gager, "Reinventing Paul" (Oxford 2000) also sees Stendahl as the major figure in the modern study of Paul. You might want to check that out.

Best wishes for your lectures,

Robert Keay
St Mary's College
University of St Andrews
St Andrews UK

I am planning a series of eight lectures on the history of the study of
Paul. I think I should probably select eight key figures (one for each
lecture) and would then plan to fit in one or two others around each main
figure. As far as I can tell there are probably five non-negotiables:
Luther, Baur, Schweitzer, Bultmann, Sanders.

For the other three I am tempted to use Marcion, Augustine and Kasemann.

I am wondering whether anyone might have some suggestions/alternatives.

Peter

Dr. Peter M. Head
Tyndale House
36 Selwyn Gardens