corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Interpreters

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jeff Peterson <peterson AT mail.ics.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Interpreters
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:33:16 -0600

As far as I can tell there are probably five non-negotiables:
> Luther, Baur, Schweitzer, Bultmann, Sanders.
>
> For the other three I am tempted to use Marcion, Augustine and Kasemann.
>
> I am wondering whether anyone might have some suggestions/alternatives.

How about Irenaeus as alternative (or counterpoint) to Marcion? Ir. is
the Rodney Dangerfield of the ancient church, seldom accorded much
respect as a theologian or biblical interpreter, but his synthesis
worked out in response to M. and gnostic readings of Scripture set the
pattern for theological interpretation of Paul et al. down to
Schleiermacher (and maybe for post-liberals, too -- it's a little early
to tell). Rowan Greer's treatment in Kugel and Greer, EARLY BIBLICAL
INTERPRETATION, is a useful sketch arguing for I's significance.

The lectures sound very interesting. Best wishes with them!

Jeff Peterson
Institute for Christian Studies
Austin, Texas