corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Interpreters

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: pmh15 AT cam.ac.uk (Peter M. Head)
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Interpreters
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:57:10 +0000

Many thanks for the ideas. Helpfully noone has (yet) quarrelled with my
non-negotiables. Unsurprisingly the greatest difficulty is in treating the
most recent period. I have revised things a bit as follows:

1. Marcion, Irenaeus, canon formation.

2. Augustine, Luther, reformed theology

3. Baur, Lightfoot, historical reconstructions

4. Schweitzer, reactions to "liberal" and "history of religions" approaches

5. Bultmann & Käsemann

6. Davies, Stendahl

7. Sanders, "New Perspective: antecedents and interests"

8. Contemporary Options: Dunn, Meeks et al.

Mark N. suggested linking Marcion-Augustine-Luther-Calvin, but I'd rather
have a whole lecture on the early period; and also leave enough space to
take a decent look at the Luther-Augustine axis. His suggestion on Kasemann
with Bultmann makes a lot of sense. Jeff P. suggested linking Irenaeus with
Marcion, which also makes a lot of good sense.

Stendhal has his advocates (thanks to Robert K.); but I'm not too sure how
to organise the Stendahl, Davies grouping; and the final one seems a bit
too broad (although Meeks supposedly non-theological approach has had his
advocates). I am least convinced about the shape of the last three
lectures.

OK. Another question. Should I really treat the "liberal" and "history of
religion" schools only as background to Schweitzer (and then Bultmann
etc.)? Or should I credit them some more? Who, in any case, were the key
players?

Finally, I don't suppose anyone knows of a student reader which has
extracts from the history of the interpretation of Paul?

Peter

Dr. Peter M. Head
Tyndale House
36 Selwyn Gardens