corpus-paul - Re: Paul and Soldiering

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: jasher AT midway.uchicago.edu
  • Subject: Re: Paul and Soldiering
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 20:12:38 -0500

"l. j. swain" wrote:

> I'm looking for antecedents for Paul's spiritualizing a soldier's
> equipment in Ephesians 6. I'm aware of the references to Isaiah and the
> Psalms and am looking more for Roman or other Jewish sources which treat
> it similarly. Sorry, I don't have a good commentary to hand to check
> these things out.

On this matter, I think you should get in touch with Jeffrey Archer of the
University
of Chicago. He presented a paper at the Midwest SBL entitled
"Military Metaphor, Martial Values, and the Classical Battle Experience in
Ephesians
6:10-20 which surveyed the very material you're looking for.
His address is:

jasher AT midway.uchicago.edu

Yours,

Jeffrey