corpus-paul - mitzvot in Galatians?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Doug Jantz <dwjantz AT swbell.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: mitzvot in Galatians?
  • Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 01:31:42 +0000

In a class yesterday I was exposed to the idea in Judaism of "mitzvot." For
those of you
who do not know, mitzvot is the concept Judaism has of good deeds. Humans
are uniquely
suited to do good in the world, unlike other creatures made by God. Doing
these good
deeds brings God's presence into the world, thus making the world more
sacred. God is
revealed in history through a community of people doing good deeds.
As I heard this, I began thinking of the problems in Galatians. Could this
have been
behind the demands on the Gentiles from the Jews? Was it possible that the
Jews really
felt that the Gentiles were not doing the time honored "good deeds"
necessary to bring
the presence of God into the world to make it a more sacred place? These are
considered
acts done in conformity to God's will. Were the Jews thinking that the
Gentiles were out
of conformity with God because of this? Were they truly afraid that the
presence of God
would not be seen in the world?
I would be interested in thoughts on this. Is there any substance to this
idea?

Douglas Jantz
1304 E. Republic Rd. #180 Springfield, Missouri 65804
USA
dwjantz AT swbell.net
Religious Studies Program
Southwest Missouri State University