corpus-paul - Re: Paul and Soldiering

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Frank W. Hughes" <fwhughes AT sunbeach.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul and Soldiering
  • Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 16:24:44 -0300

Adding to what John Hurd said, I would want to point out the parallel in 1 Thessalonians 5:8:  "the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation."  This verse has an obvious relationship to 1 Thess. 1:3.  I would check Beda Rigaux's commentary on 1 Thessalonians (Etudes bibliques, 1956) at this verse for parallels, particularly in Judaism.  He generally gives a massive amount of parallels.

For commentaries on Ephesians I would check Rudolf Schnackenburg in EKK which I believe has been translated into English.  You might look at Edgar J. Goodspeed's The Meaning of Ephesians because he had a very perceptive eye for Graeco-Roman parallels.  There is a good discussion of this point by Joachim Gnilka, Der Epheserbrief (Herders theologischer Kommentar zum Neuen Testament X/2; third edition, Freiburg, Basel, Wien: Herder, 1982) 309-14, with references to the Testament of Levi 8:2 and rabbinic literature on p. 310 including notes 2, 4, and 5.

Isn't there some stuff in Philo that talks of the spiritual meaning of the different parts of the body and/or vestments of the priest or the Urmensch or something like that?

All best,
Frank W. Hughes
Codrington College
Barbados