corpus-paul - Re: mitzvot in Galatians?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: mitzvot in Galatians?
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 22:30:55 -0500

Dear Doug,
My understanding is that the present Jewish attitude towards the
mitzvot is somewhat a response to the destruction of the temple. The Jews
have replaced many requirements of the Law with a more
philosophical/theological approach towards what God requires. Here enter
concepts such as doing a mitzvot is equivalent to an importation of God's
presence into the world. My instinct tells me that this type of thinking
was probably not as prevalent before A.D. 70. Before then Jews had
motivations for keeping all the OT laws and scriptural reasons for thinking
that proselytes needed to do so. It seems that the thinking in Galatia need
not have been as philosophical as you theorize.

Sincerely,
Harold Holmyard