corpus-paul - Re: ideas

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Robert M Schacht <bobschacht AT juno.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: ideas
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 19:20:49 -0700

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:24:59 -0500 "Jeffrey B. Gibson"
<jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net> writes:
>...Now I see where the confusion arises. What I mean by Paul's claim
that
>his message
>about justification by/ through the faith/faithfulness of Jesus is "of
>God" is that it
>is his way of saying that of all the ways being offered or touted by
>those who like
>Paul were concerned with the question of what God intended his people
>to do show
>themselves as his people and to bring Israel to its destiny, that the
>faithfulness
>shown by Jesus is what God wants. It, rather than the way of Zeal, as
>Paul once
>thought, was God's way.
>
>Is this now clear?

I think this conversation is taking an interesting turn. In Paul's
thinking,

1. Jesus is "of God"

2. Jesus' life showed "what God intended his people to do show themselves
as his people and to bring Israel to its destiny, that the faithfulness
shown by Jesus is what God wants," to quote your argument above;

3. By perceiving these two truths (was this his revelation? or one of
them?), Paul's Gospel is "of God," and not the result of human
instruction.

This seems thoroughly Pauline to me, for whom salvation comes *through*
Jesus the Christ (Romans 5:9-11). This month I've been struggling to
understand what Paul means by "through our Lord Jesus Christ" in Romans
4-6, and maybe this is it.

And I also like the point that in Galatians, Paul is using this logic
("through Christ"), in the fashion of a double entendre perhaps, to
appeal to an authority higher than the "pillars."

Bob

Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff, AZ