corpus-paul - RE: ideas

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: ideas
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:17:51 -0400

> From: Jeffrey B. Gibson

> Liz Fried wrote:
>
> > > From: Jeffrey B. Gibson
> > > And all I am saying is that you seem to be confusing two distinct
> > > issues.
>
> > OK. Let me see if I understand you.
> >
> > The issue of
> > > whether what Paul preached about justification by/ through
> > > faith/faitfulness is his
> > > own creation
> > This is one issue, right?
>
> Yes.
>
> > is quite different from (a) whether or not Paul
> > > *got* the particular
> > > "doctrine" on the issue of justification that he preaches from
> > > any human being
> > The other issue, right?
>
> One of two more.
This is the issue to which I was speaking. I am saying that Paul's
statement in Gal.1:1, 11, 12 cannot be used to argue that he did not get his
ideas from someone else. This is because people are simply not good at
knowing where their ideas come from. In order to do this you'd have to
write down the sources of your ideas. People have done this in experimental
situations and certainly they do this nowadays when they are writing
research papers. They do not do this more gnerally.

> > AND
> > > from (b) his absolute certainty -- and, if Matera and Lyons are
> > > correct, this is what
> > > he really seems to be asserting in Gal. 1:11-12 -- *that* this
> > > "doctrine", as opposed
> > > to some other "doctrine on what justifies" is "of God".
> >
> > OK, what do you mean "of God?"
> > I am equating "of God" with "not getting it from any human being."
> > I am saying that Paul assumes that if he didn't get it from a
> human being,
> > then he got it from God, and that it is "of God."
> >

> Now I see where the confusion arises. What I mean by Paul's claim
> that his message
> about justification by/ through the faith/faithfulness of Jesus
> is "of God" is that it
> is his way of saying that of all the ways being offered or touted
> by those who like
> Paul were concerned with the question of what God intended his
> people to do show
> themselves as his people and to bring Israel to its destiny, that
> the faithfulness
> shown by Jesus is what God wants. It, rather than the way of
> Zeal, as Paul once
> thought, was God's way.
>
> Is this now clear?
Certainly.
I was not speaking to this question at all.
I have naught to say about it.

Best,
Liz

> Yours,