corpus-paul - Re: ideas

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: ideas
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 13:31:20 -0500

about how well individuals remember the actual origins of their ideas, at
Mike Balfour wrote:

> I wonder, if the good Professor Reder, every went to an art museum.
> Words on paper paint mental pictures, an original method of communication?
> Jeffrey mentioned Freud; ask a blind person who has never seen an apple or
> a hearing impared individual about music where their ideas come from. I
> suggest "whole" ideas can be very original. The inventor the mathmatician
> and even my computer gets original at times. A piece of Paul's puzzle,
> perhaps, but at what point does a part of an idea become the whole
> presentation; thus lost original status?
>
> Rev. Mike Balfour S.T.D.

May I suggest, with my moderator hat held firmly in hand, that a debate
about what modern psychology or personal experience says (or does not say)
with regard to how accurate or subjective memory is, let alone a
psychoanalysis of Paul, is something that we do not want to see pursued here
on C-P.

Let us focus instead either (a) upon the original question of whether the
"doctrine" of justification by faith/faithfulness was something that Paul did
or did not invent -- however his own "unmediated via human beings" version of
it came to him, or (b) upon the text of Gal 1:11-12 Paul and what
function Paul's statements there have within the larger argument about the
fact that the Gospel he proclaims, that the God of Israel has acted to his
establish his righteousness in Jesus faithfulness, is "of God" and therefore
needs to be accepted as true.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
--