corpus-paul - RE: Galatians 2:16; 19-20

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jerry Sumney <jsumney AT lextheo.edu>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Galatians 2:16; 19-20
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 23:21:22 -0400

Robert Leonzio wrote:
I am a graduate student with a question concerning Paul's' use of "works of
the law" in Galatians. Could someone give me an insight as to what he is
referring to here. I am reading this as Jewish pious practices in the
absence of faith.

I reply:

Bob, I think this is to miss the rhetorical punch of the expression for
Paul's purpose. I think "works of the Law" is a phrase Paul creates to
make the views of the other teachers unacceptable. It is his denigration
of their urging of circumcision and holy days on the Galatian Gentiles.
There is no reason to think that the phrase intends to address the
practice of non-Christian Jews at all. I think Paul is the one who makes a
big theological issue of this matter. We do not know what the other
teachers think is gained by accepting these limited requirements, but we
can be certain that what they ask is much less than adherence to the whole
of the Jewish law and lifestyle--just look at 5:3 where Paul seems to
expect them to be shocked at the idea that they are committing themselves
to the whole law. That this is an unexpected and unwanted result of
listening to the teachers can be seen by the list of consequences it
appears in: Christ is of no benefit (v. 2), you must keep the whole law
(v. 3), and you cut yourself off from Christ (v. 4).

All of that to say that when Paul uses this phrase he does not have
in
mind any broad range of commands. It is a polemical accusation which Paul
thinks will make the Galatians reject the other teaching.

Jerry
Jerry L. Sumney
Lexington Theological Seminary
631 S. Limestone
Lexington, KY 40508
jsumney AT lextheo.edu
(606) 252-0361

I am a graduate student with a question concerning Paul's' use of "works of
the law" in Galatians. Could someone give me an insight as to what he is
referring to here. I am reading this as Jewish pious practices in the
absence of faith.

Bob Leonzio, University of Pennsylvania

---
You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: jsumney AT lextheo.edu
$subst('Email.Unsub')