corpus-paul - Re: Galatians 2:16; 19-20

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Galatians 2:16; 19-20
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 11:12:17 -0400

At 10:05 AM 5/21/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I am a graduate student with a question concerning Paul's' use of "works of
the law" in Galatians. Could someone give me an insight as to what he is
referring to here. I am reading this as Jewish pious practices in the
absence of faith.

I am not sure I know what you mean by "Jewish pious practices in the absence
of faith". You would be hard pressed to show that the Jews of Paul's day
did what they did without faith. In fact, faith drove Judaism's many facets
as certainly as it drives Christian practice- if not moreso.
By "works of the law" Paul simply means the practice of Torah in its
multifacted significance.

best,
Jim

Jim West, ThD