corpus-paul - RE: Galatians 2:16; 19-20

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Galatians 2:16; 19-20
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 14:51:15 -0400

If the table fellowship which Paul speaks of refers not to ordinary meals,
but to sharing the Eucharist, then perhaps you are right. More generally, I
think the problem may be the chance that the Jew might either partake or
give the impression to others he is partaking of non-kosher food.

I merely wanted to point out that the problem is the food. Some people think
that Jews weren't allowed to associate with gentiles at all, which isn't the
case.

> There's a good consideration of this question by E. P. Sanders in the _The
> Conversation Continues_ (FS J. Louis Martyn), concluding that while there
> was no formal legal prohibition of table fellowship with gentiles, there
> were customs of segregation for meals.

Liz

> Jeff
>
> ------------------------------------