corpus-paul - Re: II Corinthians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: II Corinthians
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 22:45:11 -0400

At 08:17 PM 5/14/99, Brian Peterson wrote:
>If 2 Corinthians has been assembled from originally separate letters (and I
>am inclined to think that 1-9 and 10-13 are such separate letters), then we
>might wish that whoever edited and joined these letters would have shown
>enough "appreciation" or "respect" for Paul's introductions & closings to
>prevent their excision. Nevertheless, there was a range of practice when
>it came to preserving letters. P. Vielhauer ("Geschichte der
>urchristlichen Literatur, 1975) notes that while the letters of Plato and
>Demosthenes were preserved with both their beginnings and endings
>preserved, the letters of Isocrates had most of their beginnings and
>endings omitted, and those of Pliny the Younger and Apollonius of Tyana
>retain neither their beginnings nor their endings. If this was a practice
>for preserving the letters of revered people, should we be surprised that
>someone in the early church thought it acceptable to do the same to Paul's
>letters?

What about the possibility that Paul himself edited and joined
separate letters to create 2 Cor. when when creating a core
collection of his letters? If I can recall correctly, I believe
Trobisch suggested this possibility (at least of Paul's being
the first to collect his letters).

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson AT mindspring.com