corpus-paul - Re: II Corinthians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: David Barr <david.barr AT wright.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: II Corinthians
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 09:20:21 -0400

Mike Thompson wrote:
> [snip]

> If 2Cor was compiled in Corinth, why did the collective memory there allow
> bits to be put in a misleading order? If 2Cor was compiled somewhere else,
> would the leadership and congregation in Corinth be happy with something
> that differed from what they had?

While I agree with most of this post, I think this is a red
herring. We know the Corinthians lost at least one of
Paul's letters and have no idea what the state of
preservation was for the others. Maybe such a compilation
was the best anyone could manage? While I find the
"collage" theory largely convincing, I am most bothered by
the lack of the formal elements of a letter in the various
fragments.

David

--
David L. Barr