corpus-paul - Re: Paul the Persecutor

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Chris Cutler" <Chrisc AT powercall.co.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul the Persecutor
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 23:24:25 +0100

> > On 04/09/99, ""Chris Cutler" <Chrisc AT powercall.co.uk>" wrote:
> > > Unfortunately I can't find the reference, so maybe you can help.
> > > I think I remember that during the time of which you speak was Saul a
> > > member of the Temple Guard.

Liz asks:
> Where is this mentioned? Is this in Acts? Could you tell me where?

Chris.
Well, it was bugging me I couldn't remember until David Hindley helped me
out, and I went back and re-read some of "James the Brother of Jesus" There
Eisenman reminds us of the tensions between the pro Roman Sadducees and the
more zealous lower priesthood (sic). According to Josephus (War 2: 418
&556-8) a Herodian 'relative of Agrippa' named Saul or Saulus acted as an
intermediary between the Romans and the acommodating pro Roman
Sadducee/Pharasee coalition (These were the ones who made scrifices on
behlaf of the Romans)

Of course you a right, Saulus in Acts 7:58 somehow becomes by 28:28 the
Paul who is 'to make known that the Salvation of God is sent to the
Gentiles'

In case you missed it this is what David replied:

You may be thinking of either Robert Eisenman.

Eisenman, on page 638 of _James the Brother of Jesus_, he says:

"There is some indication that overseas Jews may have been using this
'Benjamin' appelation to apply to themselves too [like the author of
Phillipians 3:5, and Eisenman presumes he is Paul, who avoids using the
word 'Jew'], though Paul might simply have been evoking his biblical
namesake, the Benjamite king Saul a thousand years before."

However, he does not say where that evidence is to be found.

Earlier, on page 308 he associates the Rechabite Malachias with possible
priestly duties, and perhaps this triggered the thought of the slave
Malchus with the sliced off ear (thus rendering him ineligible to officiate

as a priest, if he was one).

Dave Hindley

Chris Cutler
"Auditeur Libre"

What liberates is the knowledge of who we were, what we became; where we
were, whereinto we have been thrown; whereto we speed, wherefrom we are
redeemmed; what birth is, and what rebirth." (Exc. Theod. 78.2)