corpus-paul - Re: Paul the Persecutor

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Chris Cutler" <Chrisc AT powercall.co.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul the Persecutor
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:37:49 +0100

> >From: "Chris Cutler"
>
> >Earlier, on page 308 he associates the Rechabite Malachias with
>
> >possible priestly duties, and perhaps this triggered the thought
> >of the slave Malchus with the sliced off ear (thus rendering him
> >ineligible to officiate as a priest, if he was one).

>George Blaisdell :
> Is this a reference to John 18:10? Or exegetically relevant to it?
> [vis-a-vis the meaning of the slave's ear being sliced off by Peter,
> and then restored by Jesus?]

Chris:
John 18:10 is the only reference to Malchus I know of in the NT, all the
others describe the incident without mentioning the name. I have not read
of any exegesical parallels has anyone else?

Chris Cutler
"Auditeur Libre"

What liberates is the knowledge of who we were, what we became; where we
were, whereinto we have been thrown; whereto we speed, wherefrom we are
redeemmed; what birth is, and what rebirth." (Exc. Theod. 78.2)