corpus-paul - Re: Paul the Persecutor

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Chris Cutler" <Chrisc AT powercall.co.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul the Persecutor
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 00:08:33 +0100

> I cannot think of any precedent that could have given Paul the
> right and authority to apprehend anyone in Syria for the HP in
> Jerusalem. Aretas IV controlled Damascus and no neighbor
> hated Antipas and the Judeans more. This story has never
> made sense to me. Why Caiaphas would be interested in
> Nazarenes in Damascus is beyond me.
> It has also puzzled me why a "Hebrew of Hebrews" Pharisee
> would be working for the Sadducee HP.
>
> So many puzzlements!

I suggested in an earlier posting that Damascus was a cognomen for Qumran
which *was* under the juristiction of the HP.

My suggestion was roundly dismissed by James Harding in his reply (31
March):

"The possibilities outlined below by Chris Cutler have I think been
suggested before, and fairly univerally dismissed. It would be
difficult to maintain that Damascus was a standard cognomen for
Qumran, since it is only characteristic of the D corpus of material..."

However, all the points you make Jack indicate the difficulties of
accepting the Damascus referred to as being the one in Syria. Is there
therefore not a case for revisiting the possibility that we are talking
about somewhere else much closer to Jerusalem, and if so is not Qumran at
least a candidate?

Chris Cutler
"Auditeur Libre"

What liberates is the knowledge of who we were, what we became; where we
were, whereinto we have been thrown; whereto we speed, wherefrom we are
redeemmed; what birth is, and what rebirth." (Exc. Theod. 78.2)