corpus-paul - Re: Paul the Persecutor

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul the Persecutor
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 10:26:47 -0500

Liz Fried wrote:

> > I don't know the legal condition of Jews dwelling in Damascus. It is
> > possible that they were indeed subject to Judean law rather than
> > Roman law and possible that enforcement authority could come from
> > Jerusalem to enforce Judean law in Damascus. There probably are
> > people who know the legal condition of Jews in Damascus at the time
> > who can say whether this 'possibility' was actually so or not.
>
> You'd have to argue this for every area where there were Jews.
> Jews ran into a great deal of trouble in Egypt, for example, by not
> appearing in court on the sabbath. If there were separate laws for Jews,
> this woudn't have been an issue.

I cannot think of any precedent that could have given Paul the
right and authority to apprehend anyone in Syria for the HP in
Jerusalem. Aretas IV controlled Damascus and no neighbor
hated Antipas and the Judeans more. This story has never
made sense to me. Why Caiaphas would be interested in
Nazarenes in Damascus is beyond me.
It has also puzzled me why a "Hebrew of Hebrews" Pharisee
would be working for the Sadducee HP.

So many puzzlements!

Jack