corpus-paul - Re: Paul and the Gospels

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Thomas P Roche <troche AT acsu.buffalo.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul and the Gospels
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 01:16:00 -0400 (EDT)

Very simply, let me clarify. People here are regularly citing 'Q', often
complete with chapter and verse citations, as though this document did in
fact exist, when it manifestly is the construct of scholars. NOw I
realize that a small portion of biblical scholars working over a very
small period of the history of the christian church, in accordance with
thier 'higher critical' presuppostions and theories, have indeed
postulated such a document, and spilled large quantities of ink and
electrons defending it as though they had copious ancient documentary
evidence to back up their speculations. My point, further, should be
clear-- I am a classicist/ ancient historian, and I have to say that it is
manifestly true that NO other series of ancient Greco-Roman texts has been
subjected to anything, anything, like the hypercritical dissections,
deconstructions, and reinterpretations, as has the various New Testament
books, all the while when it is also manifestly true that the number of
ancient mss for the NT and parts thereof simply dwarfs, by several score
times, the number of any such mss we possess for any other Greco-Roman
texts, most of which are also far younger. Indeed, people read these
various texts without a thought to engaging in 'higher criticism' thereof,
while waxing intellectual with their hc formulations of the NT texts, and
denigrating those of us who do not hold to such flights of fancy. Pooey.

Thomas Roche
SUNY Buffalo