corpus-paul - Re: Romans 16:7

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: FucciXXV AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Romans 16:7
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 22:22:39 EST

In a message dated 3/28/99 7:13:11 PM Central Standard Time,
prchrdsn AT chass.utoronto.ca writes:

> But in Rom 16:1-2, Phoebe is
> referred to as a diakonos, using the masculine form of the word, in
> almost precisely the same way as the word apostolos is used a few verses
> later of both Andronicus and Junia.

But is "they are of note among the apostles" necessarily "they are of note"
AND "they are among the apostles"? I'm afraid my rudimentary Greek isn't
enough to sort out subtle syntactical nuances; but it seems possible that the
phrase could refer to their common reputation and not a common status as
apostles. At the least, it seems ambiguous to me.

1 Corinthians 9:5 seems to describe unmarried male/female pairs traveling
together, but doesn't seem to imply an equal status for the sister/wife. If
that is the case, and if Andronicus and Junia were such a pair, couldn't Paul
have still used the phrase found at Romans 16:7 to describe them?

I'm not arguing for an unequal status, I'm just suggesting we simply may not
have enough information in 16:7 itself to demonstrate an equal status.

Jim Thorn
Chicago, IL