corpus-paul - Re: Romans 16:7

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Romans 16:7
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 16:23:43 -0600

John Reece wrote:
For a superb treatment of Junia as a co-equal apostle with her husband, Andronicus, see Women in the Church's Ministry: A Test Case for Biblical Interpretation, by R.T. France

Maggie Hoop wrote:

Hello.

I'm a graduate student working on a Romans 16:7 :  "...Andronicus and
Junia...prominent among the apostles..."

I'm working from the assumptions that Junia is female and that she is
called an 'apostle' by Paul.

I'm wondering if 'apostle' when applied to a female means the same thing as
'apostle' when applied to a man.

According to R.T. France, a exegetical scholar par excellence, the answer is "Yes".
Bibliographical references are welcome on the list. But as an actual answer to Maggie Hoop's question, this seems rather incomplete. We could probably easily find another scholar who has said just the opposite. What would be more fitting, then, is not so much to know who stands where, but why any individual stands where he/she does on this (or any other question). *Why* does France say what he says? And how good are his reasons?

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson