corpus-paul - Re: Romans 16:7

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jonathan Robie <jonathan AT texcel.no>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Romans 16:7
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 16:19:35 -0500

At 04:07 PM 3/28/99, Maggie Hoop wrote:
>Hello.
>
>I'm a graduate student working on a Romans 16:7 : "...Andronicus and
>Junia...prominent among the apostles..."
>
>I'm working from the assumptions that Junia is female and that she is
>called an 'apostle' by Paul.

There has been extensive discussion of this on B-Greek, and you may want to
search the archives for "Junia". The archives may be found attached to
http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek/archives.

I think you are right in your assessment above.

>I'm wondering if 'apostle' when applied to a female means the same thing as
>'apostle' when applied to a man.

I would think so - but I'm not sure that I know the whole range of meaning
of the word "Apostle".

>Schussler-Fiorenza and Brooten argue that since a woman is fully capable of
>maintaining the office of apostle as Paul defines it, we should assume that
>Junia did the same work as Andronicus. Other scholars argue that even if
>Paul applied the term 'apostle' to a female, it had a different meaning
>because a female was not highly regarded enough within the early xn
>community to hold the responsibilities of apostleship.

I'm trying to think of examples of titles that mean one thing applied to a
woman and another when applied to a man. I'm coming up empty.

Jonathan
Jonathan Robie
R&D Fellow, Software AG
jonathan.robie AT sagus.com <- this address will be active Monday