community_studios - Re: [Community_studios] Ideas Challenge

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Community_studios] Ideas Challenge
  • Date: 29 Apr 2005 08:40:31 -0700

Good questions, Jeff!
1] What does Open Studios expect to accomplish?
2] What's the difference between Open Studios and Studio for Recording?
3] What are the major goals of the projects?
4] What are the major obstacles to accomplishing the goals of the
projects?
5] For musicians, what do you expect from Open Studios? What do you do
with your recordings? What did/didn't you get out of your experience
with Open Studios?
6] Can Open Studios start monthly meetings, where we can meet and
discuss topics of interest?
7] Shameless plug for http://jeffshippen.homelinux.com/renobands/

Well, let's start at number 1:
Open Studios is a 501(c)(3) organization located in Reno, Nevada. The
primary function of the organization is to assist communities wishing to
build and operate community-based recording studios. The form of
assistance ranges from providing technical support to training
community-based recording studio staff and volunteers. (from the Open
Studios business plan)

Our mission statement: The Mission of Open Studios is:
"to protect, promote and broaden the base of artistic works within the
Public Domain." (from
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/mission.html )

To accomplish our mission, a primary goal of creating an infrastructure
to assist others in acquiring and using the tools which will protect,
promote and broaden the base of artistic works with the Public Domain.

2] Studio for Recording was the initial URL for Open Studios, and there
has been no pressing need to change, up to this point. In the future,
we may decide to change the URL, but for now, it continues to be used.

3] Whew! Well, knowing that our project list for Open Studios is
already lengthy, and will be a dynamic list for the foreseeable future,
here's a couple of the major projects, and the goals we hope to
accomplish with them:
A] Memorial to Our Public Domain: This project focuses on creating and
maintaining a traveling memorial that will tour the U.S., Canada, and
Mexico. It is envisioned as a booth, where visitors can step in, get
information about community-based recording studios, demo the
community-based recording studio, and take away printouts of their
recordings, photos, stories, other creative works, create CDs and DVDs
to take with them, even create multi-media presentations for
distribution to local access media centers throughout the U.S., etc.
B] SONG STORM: This project focuses on providing a model for what we
think future music portals might look like, for those artists that
utilize an Internet strategy to further their music careers. The model
should, we think, carry over to all creative works, including writings,
visual arts, and eventually, the converging of the arts and technology
for those who will find new means of creativity and innovation in the
mature Digital Age.
C] Open Studios: This is the central project of . . . Open Studios.
This project integrates the operations and administration of Open
Studios and its projects. We tend to think of it as a global Help Desk,
a central location where anyone can ask a question about starting and
operating a community-based recording studio, asking for technical
support or training, or asking for assistance in using the applications
on our recommended system.

4] The major obstacles to the projects all seem to be related, at this
point, to simply organizing and implementing the goals. Can we
effectively position Open Studios to be self-sustaining, to establish a
working budget that generates revenues for operation, and growth? If we
have an online shop, for instance, will anyone purchase products from it
to help support Open Studios? So far, the answer is no. If we place a
notice on our web site, that allows supporters to donate money to Open
Studios, will anyone donate to help support Open Studios? So far, the
answer is a really weak, yes. There are other obstacles, but, until we
can overcome this obstacle, I think we're sort of stuck where we've been
for the last 18 months.
6] Jeff, Robert, Sal, and Tom are the local names that pop up. We can
surely have monthly meetings. This question also raises the possibility
of exploring yet another idea, and a good one, Jeff. We might want to
look for a volunteer that has broadband access, and set up a monthly
meeting on the Internet. That way, we can record the meetings, and
share them with others around the world. We might also consider
broadening the format to include your project, and any local bands, or
others that want to participate from other communities?!

7] SONG STORM has a featured spot for your site, and would be delighted
to add you to our portal. Let's have a monthly meeting and discuss this
in depth.

Tom