community_studios - Re: [Community_studios] Re: [Open_Studios] Ideas Challenge

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Community_studios] Re: [Open_Studios] Ideas Challenge
  • Date: 28 Apr 2005 06:07:39 -0700

Hi, Francis: Good to hear from you. The MD charter (I think you mean
registration for Internet sales tax reporting) is still in process. I'm
waiting for either mailed documents from Kim Smith (March 10th), or an
updated web site for getting the documents downloaded in a reasonable
time. I'm glad you reminded me. I'll follow-up in mid-May, and keep
you posted.

On the topic of IRS, there's a five year probation period. The Award
Letter pages are at:
http://www.ibiblio.or/studioforrecording/irs/
Another good idea, Francis, and thanks for the reminder. The pages need
to be rescanned and enlarged, so they're readable.

Anyway, during that time, the IRS looks for such things as how much is
donated by the Public, and what other forms of income are being
generated, such as grants, fund-raisers, etc. This info, combined with
how the money is spent, helps them determine if the organization should
be granted permanent charitable status to continue its tax-exempt
ruling. Right now, we are not performing well. For starters, I need to
make changes to our online shop that will stimulate purchases by you,
the Board Members, and other volunteers, to show the IRS, we have active
financial support from within our group. So, everyone has to speak up
and let me know what I can add or change in our online shop that will be
successful, and you'll all purchase something.

Don't worry about time, Francis. It's just great to have you stop by
and throw out reminders and ideas. That may be our greatest strength
going down the road.

One idea I've been mulling around, and will act on, is to schedule a
demo for the studio, with some folks in a low-income neighborhood, and
put the clips up on the site. Seeing, is believing, is a saying that
still holds some truth. So, we'll work to make that happen.

Other ideas, reminders, suggestions?
Tom