ch-scene - Re: Sound proof/attenuation construction

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Michel Inserny <minserny AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Sound proof/attenuation construction
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:46:32 -0500

This room will only serve the band practice purpose. Yes, I would use any
construction technique available to make the room to serve its purpose (I
play the drums, so I need to practice without annoying neighbors, and I need
to have a band practice space where I could practice for several hours at
night, few nights a week with no issues) If I'm going to spend the money in
the project I need it to work.

I didn't think of ICF before, cause somehow I thought staggered stud walls
with insulation in between would provide better sound proofing than ICF.
I'll check again though.

Since I work for a concrete contractor, the idea was to build a slab on
grade. However, would you put any type of flooring above that (for better
acoustics?)

Also, I wasn't thinking of having any windows and when I get to construction
phase I will get all permits and stuff. Right now I'm at the engineering and
design phase and the plan is to have this done by July.

Thanks for your help.

Michel